Saturday, April 13, 2019

Podcasts

Podcasts are a communication device and tool that students, parents and teachers can use throughout their educational experiences.  Given the right guidance and assistance, students can even create their own podcast on content studied in class or to enhance learning.  I personally have never heard or even created a podcast until now and to be honest with you, I have been missing out!  There are a wide range and variety of podcast available but below I have researched a few that you might find useful and I then created an actual podcast of my own that I highly recommend.  

Just like with anything, podcast comes with challenges as well.  Price, time, experience, and technology issues are just a few.  Many podcasting programs that are out there do cost money and a commitment in order to obtain the full benefits of the program.  Explore your options before you commit.  Research and see what works best for your library and your goals and efforts you and your staff and students hope to reach.  Librarians need to take time, most likely on your own, to gather a few podcast sites that are effective, appropriate and meet the needs of students on his or her campus to be able to provide to staff and assist teachers in the classroom.  Professional developments and staff meetings would be a great opportunity to showcase podcast websites!

There are such a variety of ways that librarians are able to use podcast to explore technology and enhance educational experiences for students within their school library. Podcasting opens the door for a unique way to communicate content in an easy and accessible way.  It can be used for staff and professional developments and can be used in libraries k-12 to reach and use technology in an attempt to extend learning. Librarians can use podcasts to showcase new literature, updated technology, upcoming library events and promote positive aspects of the school library.   Teachers and librarians can differentiate their content and teaching styles to match the needs of their learners through alternative delivery and for students who need extended support.  Creating podcast allows students to learn how to appropriately and safely research, develop vocabulary, work on the power of effective speech, solve problems and grab listeners and readers attention. Students can display their knowledge of the state and district standards in a magnitude of ways and with the collaboration and assistance of the school librarian, students are able to add their own touch to the podcast to make it more appealing and enjoyable.  Below I have explored a few options(of the many) when it comes to podcast sites and then even provided a podcast on my own!

Soundcloud was the first podcast that I came across.  The one feature that  I did find very useful and convenient was the fact that this podcast is available on ipads, phones and computers.  I found this so accommodating because if you are anything like me you are always on the go and sometimes a laptop or computer is not the easiest device to use on the go.  So that was a big plus with this podcast.  Next, I created a free account on Soundcloud and my podcast journey began!  Once I created an account I was given the option to go ahead and upload my recording, which I did.  That was the easiest part of my entire podcast adventure.... I then tried to add music and graphics to my podcast which quickly frustrated me and was not user friendly to say the least.  There were limited options to enhance my podcast, but I could go "pro" which involved money and setting up your credit card information.  Now I am all about having the best of the best products especially for my teaching and my students but if it can be done for free, sign me up!  So I quickly logged out and began my journey onto the next podcast!

Audioboom was the second Podcast I tried.  This podcast was very similar to Soundcloud, but once you created your account you had the option to click on your "dashboard".  Here you were brought to the part of the podcast creation where you could begin to download your podcast and enhance it with graphics and music.  Here is also where the problem came in.  In order to upload the video, you had to "activate your podcast" in order to continue on with your podcast.  UGGHH!  I am really trying to avoid putting my financial information on the web, especially if I am not happy with the products.  No free trial was available.  So I moved on to the next podcast.

Podbean- This was my favorite!  I was able to create a free account and then upload my podcast with ease and edit by adding music and graphics if I choose!  No money involved!  A podcaster has the option to advance their setting and pay to open up more doors to your podcasting experience, but as a teacher and future librarian, I felt that the very basic skills and features for my podcasts and my students' podcasts would be sufficient.  I was able to even up load a recording using my iphone and then upload it to Podbean with ease and edit it from there.  I then found myself really exploring Podbean and its features.  This site provided you with free features as well as pro features that you could use to improve the quality of your podcast before you are ready to share such as a theme, layout, music, graphics and so much more!  I also had the advantage to save as many podcasts as I wanted and then they were stored and saved for when I was ready to publish or I could publish then.  Also I can even keep track of who has viewed my podcast and what followers have added me.  I could browse a variety of podcasts and follow my favorites, which helped me to get an idea of how my podcast should go before I recorded my own. I highly recommend using this podcast application especially for older grades.  I felt  that it was very user friendly FREE and students could really enjoy creating their own podcast while also enhancing his or her educational experience using technology!!  I have provided my link to my podcast below titled "Banned/Challenged Books".  Click on the link below and enjoy my viewpoint on banned and challenged books!  Try your own!  Explore and have fun and let me know how it works for you and your students!!  Happy Podcasting!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about doing your research before committing to a tool. I had a major issue with week with a tool I used, WeVideo. I was in charge of adding the frills to our groups podcast. I sign up for the free 30 day trial and spent a lot of time on the project, but when I went to finalize, I was told that I couldn't publish it without upgrading (paying) and when I did my work would be lost. I got it all figured out, but if I had done more research prior, I could have myself a lot of distress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podbean was my favorite too! Once it was uploaded, the podcast was so easy to embed and share. It definitely was a process to get there, though! We used several different programs including Garage Band, WeVideo and Podbean. Garage Band was pretty easy to use, but we had trouble when we tried to "share" it through Google Drive. It was a file type that wasn't supported. Once we downloaded the file as an audio file (MP3), we were able to manipulate it using other programs.

    Thanks so much for your podcast on Banned or Challenged books! I love how you referred the new librarian to their campus' policies and procedures guide! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it great that you were so honest! I have heard of podcasts but never actually got into them, outside of the occasional dorky one. It was great that you broke down each platform and explained why you found and learned. Banned books is such a great topic. The podcast was fantastic! Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Session 16: Pathfinders. Focusing Questions What is a Pathfinder? Why use Pathfinders and how do they relate to the New York School Library Services Information. - ppt download

Session 16: Pathfinders. Focusing Questions What is a Pathfinder? Why use Pathfinders and how do they relate to the New York School Library ...